Sunday, May 17, 2020

Repentance: A Kind of Graduation

Graduation is a time of celebration when completing one phase of life and moving on to better things.

1 Corinthians 13:11, “When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.”

Philippians 3:12-14, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

In context, Paul is reprimanding the Corinthians for their divisive and selfish nature (1 Corinthians), and he’s encouraging the Philippians to continue in their love for people (Philippians 1:9-11). In either case, he’s promoting the concept of repentance! If repentance is turning away from one way of doing something and turning towards another, then we could say that repentance is a kind of graduating from an old way of living and starting a new way of living.

It’s true that moving on can be a little scary, but when you have the support of experienced “graduates” cheering you on, it’s much easier. That is what Paul spent most of his time writing to churches to repent or to give up that old way of living and embrace the brand-new road ahead that’s filled with promise and hope.

Hebrews 12:1-3, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before Him, He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment