Friday, March 15, 2019

The Beauty of God's Love

Throughout the centuries, people have gravitated towards a particular Psalm of David, and it's quite easily the most famous of the Psalms. I’m sure many folks reading this can quote Psalm 23, but have you ever wondered why this Psalm in particular? Plenty of Psalms reflect on the beauty of God or His kingdom, His mighty power or infinite love, so why this one? Perhaps it's because of the hope through trials that we can connect with it so strongly.

Psalms 23: "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Jesus compared Himself to a good shepherd and reassured His followers that Satan could never pull them away from God, "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one." (John 10:29-30)

Some have used this verse to describe 'once saved always saved,' but when you look at it closely, He's not saying that we can't walk away from the sheep pin; He's saying Satan doesn't have power to force you out of it. God doesn't want anyone to perish, but He wants everyone to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). The God we serve has the power to save, but He won't force you to be saved. Instead, He'll lead us by His love to quiet waters of refreshment, just like He offered living water to the woman at the well (John 4). When I drink from His well, when I eat the good food He has prepared for me, when I follow Him, I find amazing hope for the future.

Satan works diligently at trying to destroy that hope and cause us to abandon Christ. One powerful way he does that is through guilt, shame, embarrassment. Every time we give in to temptation and compromise our faith for some trick of the Devil, we can feel worthless before God. The beauty is  God loves us more than we could ever know. The more we recognize that, the more compelling His guidance is to our life. And that brings amazing hope to our lives.

1 Corinthians 10:13, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."

No comments:

Post a Comment