Sunday, March 3, 2019

Running with God

When I was a kid, I wanted to run because my dad started running. It wasn’t until junior high that I actually joined track and then cross country. Through the years I participated in lots of different style of races. However, the most exciting race was the first race I participated in with my kids. Back in 2013 when my daughter finished her first 5K, I was so proud of her. Since then, time and my knees don’t let me run quite as much as I want to, but I still try to get out there occasionally to do it with my kids. It’s a passion of mine that my children would share my love for running and working out.

I can’t help but think that God really likes to see His children take up running the race that He’s involved in – the race to save the world. John said in 3 John 4, “I have no greater joy than to hear that My children walk (or run) in truth.” (also 2 John 4).

Our journey with God here on earth is truly a race (Hebrews 12:1, 2 Timothy 4:7). A physical feat of persevering through the pain and frustrations of failures and setbacks. It doesn’t take long to realize how much sin trips us up, making it impossible to run perfectly. But God has given us His spirit to be our motivator and coach.

Galatians 5:16-17, “I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.”

Our opponent in this race could really be ourselves. We allow doubt, fear, pride, lust, etc. get in the way of what we know is right and true. 2 Peter 3:3-4; 14, “Know this, that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation....” (14) ...beloved, looking forward to the Day of the Lord, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless….”

Unlike us, God won’t get tired or broken down in the race, but like us, He wants to encourage us to keep going, push through the setbacks, and to remember the goal, the purpose for our running.

Philippians 3:12-14, “Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

Our focus may be the determining factor as to our faithfulness, our perseverance, and ultimately our growing love for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment