Sunday, November 7, 2021

Obey the Gospel

The goal for Christians all over the world is for people to “obey the Gospel.” The word Gospel is derived from the Anglo-Saxon term god-spell, meaning “good story.” Paul declares to the Roman Christians in Romans 1:16-17, “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel (the good news), because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the Gospel (good news) the righteousness of God is revealed…”

The Good News IS that God is bringing salvation to the world! Therefore, it is helpful to recognize what we need salvation from before we can truly appreciate the “good news” that there’s a way to escape it. Paul continues in Romans 1:18, “The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness…” Ultimately, sin is what we need to be rescued from. Thankfully, part of the reason Jesus came was to reveal the truth about God’s purpose for mankind and His will on earth. Jesus said in John 8:31-32, “If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Those teachings point to a way of living, a kingdom principle that changes how I think, act, and what I focus on. Paul says in Romans 15:1-5, “Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the Gospel (the good news) I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this Gospel, you are saved if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.”

Paul continues by explaining the challenges of faith in this announcement of God’s Son as part of a new kingdom (15:50). Our belief in God’s plan to send His Son to be the king that no human has been is key in what it means to obey the Gospel.

It’s my obedience to the principles outlined in the message and actions of Jesus that allows me to be “transformed by the renewing of my mind…” that allows me to “be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.” This begins the same way it did for those people on the Day of Pentecost after Jesus’ ascension into heaven: repent of my old ways, and be baptized (immersed) into the life of the king, Jesus! So, I have what I need to know to “obey the good news of a new king.” Obeying the king means I “do what He says” - joyfully! (John 14:15)

James 2:8, “If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right.” 1 John 5:3, “In fact, this is love for God: to keep His commands. And His commands are not burdensome…” Obeying the Gospel begins with submitting to His ways, as seen in the act of baptism, and continues in how I live out the principles of God’s kingdom. Unfortunately, many people will not accept the kingship of Christ, which has consequences… 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9, 1 Peter 4:17. It must be our job to help the world to see the beauty of following a new kind of king—Jesus the Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment