Sunday, September 13, 2020

Risks and Rewards

There are many important lessons we could learn about building our character rather than focusing only on building our careers. This can be a challenging balancing act; and one that many young professionals are constantly faced with. “Get ahead without losing yours (spiritually speaking).”

There was a concept I heard years ago in the real estate industry that I think is definitely applicable to our responses to opportunities in life… “If the joy of having it (whatever the ‘it’ may be) is worth the pain of paying it off, then the price is right.” But it takes spiritual wisdom to see the “it” from God’s perspective.

Jesus tells us, “Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it” (Matthew 10:39). Jesus also reminds us it will cost us to be His disciples (John 14:25-35). Initially, we may think the risk of giving up our own desires and comforts is too great. However, when we begin to experience a transformed perspective (Romans 12:2), the Holy Spirit enables us to see and receive the rewards of a life lived in Jesus Christ.

Jesus’ first disciples risked a lot to follow Him—they left jobs, family, and security. What the disciples saw in Jesus was so profound the rewards of following Him outweighed the risks. To the disciples, the joy of following Jesus was worth the pain of losing all that was familiar to them.

Consider how that might look in the secular arena. Young professionals have to weigh the risks and rewards of taking an entry-level job after college. Should I move across the country in order to follow a career? Should I seek a higher degree to help in my career?

As God builds my character and opportunities arise, He gives me a kingdom lens to see my life. Having a kingdom view of life means God gives me the strength and the desire to love and serve others, even when it is inconvenient. It also means that God enables me to find my true identity in Jesus Christ and not in my job. Perhaps most importantly, having a kingdom view of life allows me to consider risks and rewards from an eternal perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment