Friday, July 6, 2018

Are You Fighting The Good Fight?

Ecclesiastes 7:8, “The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride.”

As a guy who has trouble finishing projects that I start, I completely connect with this statement. Finishing a project, and finishing it well, is a wonderful feeling and can be a huge relief. So, when I think about the words of Paul in 2 Timothy 4:7 “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith,” I can’t help but think about how satisfying life can be at the end of it all – IF you’ve ran well.

But what goes into your life in order to be able to echo those words? It’s hard to compare my life to his life, when he made such an impact on the progression of the church throughout Asia Minor. But it wasn’t in his initial “high points” that we understand where his confidence comes from. Because he started his journey off with the facts of his life as his best qualities.

Philippians 3:5-6, “If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; regarding the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless…” These were all very impressive qualities to carry as a good Jew, but he continues, “But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ…”

Over time his perspective of what made his life great changed a little. He said in 2 Corinthians 11:23-29, “[I have been] imprisoned frequently, been severely flogged, and been exposed to death repeatedly. Five times I received 39 lashes from the Jews. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.”

Although the first list sounds more prestigious than the second, his trials help define the idea of faithfulness. That is the act of continuing to do the will of God in spite of what we face. What a legacy to leave behind, something truly inspiring to live by. Consider your contribution towards the work of Christianity displayed in your life. Maybe you’re the only person that speaks kindly towards co-workers or neighbors. Maybe you’re more generous than your peers around you. Maybe you pray with people often, offering a living perspective of prayer to God. There could be any number of things that you do to help promote the will of God to the people around you.

So, be sure to focus on what Paul says in Colossians 4:2-3, 5-6, “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful… Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone…” A person who tries to live that can confidently make the same claim that Paul made as their life draws to a close – “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”

No comments:

Post a Comment