Sunday, June 3, 2018

Overcoming Rejection in Christ

We don’t look forward to facing rejection, but it’s part of life. Our culture is built around achieving success, receiving rewards and appreciation for our accomplishments; but how do we prepare for times of rejection? Whether it’s a broken relationship, a lost friendship, or public embarrassment, how we handle those situations will not only impact how others view us, but also could alter how we view God. As believers in Christ, we have the privilege to turning to God’s inspired word to give us the proper guidance and encouragement we need to see us through the tough days. (2 Tim 3:16-17)

Just consider what David reflects on in the most popular Psalm in the Bible, Psalms 23: “The Lord is my shepherd (my guide and protector), I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely Your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

First, it’s important to understand that when you face rejection that it doesn’t mean you’re unlovable. However, if the reason you’re being rejected is because of some negative or ungodly choices you’ve made, then allow that pain of rejection to be a light to your path. Humble yourself and repent (1 Peter 5:6-7), seek help to overcome whatever it is, and do the best you can to remove yourself from whatever it is fueling what’s causing your rejection (James 4:7-8).

Otherwise, recognize how He refreshes your soul, how He is with you, how He comforts you, and how He anoints your head with oil (recognizes your value). Although we find these truths all throughout the Scriptures, it’s best illustrated in what Jesus did on the cross. Not just the torture and death of Jesus, but the deeper understanding of His willingness to face all of it so that you and I could be valued as God’s children, perfect in His sight.

Being reminded of the promises of God and seeing how far God was willing to go in order to keep those promises, can be excellent motivators for our daily struggles. We can allow rejection to determine how we feel and allow that feeling to color our idea of who we are, or we can choose to put that behind us and move forward on the basis of something that is far more lasting.

Colossians 1:3-6, “We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people—the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel (the good news of Jesus's sacrifice for us) that has come to you. In the same way, that good news is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world…”

No comments:

Post a Comment