Friday, October 6, 2017

Living a Better Life

Who do you turn to for help? In the TV game show, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, a contestant had a choice to phone a friend if they got in a pinch. Statistically, that’s accurate for a lot of folks when they need answers – get on the phone. In fact, 92% of American adults own a cell phone now, and 65% of those own smartphones. It’s no surprise that the internet is a common place to go for answers; from Google to YouTube, there is something out there that can probably get you some answers.

However, the drawback of having instant “answers” at our fingertips is that we tend to rely on those answers exclusively, at least that’s what one survey revealed about searching habits.

Let's explore the beauty of the better way in Christ. What makes it better? Well, promised eternal life is one great perk, but perhaps it’s in exercising the wisdom to make better choices down here. God designed the church to be a warehouse full of spiritually minded people that can point you in the right direction, correct you when you wander off, and support you as you plug along. Even on a personal level we realize that God’s word is packed with wisdom and guidance.

Psalms 119:105, “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” (114- 117), “You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my source of hope. Get out of my life, you evil-minded people, for I intend to obey the commands of my God. Lord, sustain me as you promised, that I may live! Do not let my hope be crushed. Sustain me, and I will be rescued; then I will meditate continually on your decrees.”

God’s word points us towards a better way; better choices that don’t lead to regret, but rather peace and satisfaction. God’s words are filled with such rich wisdom, and the more we’re in them, the more we’ll feel confident about using them in our daily decisions. Regular study and meditation will also help you in these areas:

1. Setting Goals for Your Life. You’ll understand how to set them based on God’s desire for your life, not what’s easiest for you. Philippians 3:12-14, “I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.”

2. Know Who to Ask for Advice When Needed. Too many people fail to utilize this precious gift of other people in their life. Proverbs 15:22, “Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success.”

3. Trusting Yourself. I know that doesn’t necessarily sound very spiritual, but God gave us some important tools that help us determine right from wrong. Romans 1:19 describes how God made awareness of His existence part of our DNA. Also, in Hebrews 5:14 it says, “Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong.”
 
But the important thing about living a better life… is practice, practice, practice. The only way you're going to get better, is by practicing making better decisions every single day. So slow down (if possible), surround yourself with wise counselors, Be constant in prayer, turn to God’s word, and have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment